Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Art of Movie-Watching



I have always wondered, why have movies become such a liberating soul for people worldwide, since its inception by Lumiere Brothers at Paris in 1896? It is just a non-real reel of 2/3 hours presented in money-raking way. So, why associate and believe in it? For me, it is more about the inner reflection that movies mirror to me all the time. I get lost, immersed in the screen with the characters, as if it were me out there. I become the movie, for all my wishes, desires, ambitions, grievances etc find their utterances there. So, it is a valuable duration of 2 hours for me, and I leave no stone unturned to make it worth it, for if I watch trash and turbid movies, my association in fact gets lost, which is a dearer price to pay.

First, I ensure that I watch the movies in absolutely good quality, soothing ambience, uncluttered mind, in effect, in a total Eden of conditions. Cinema halls/theatres provide such a typical environment, but not always. Moreover it is not possible to catch older movies there. So, a good-quality DVD print, even though downloaded, works perfect for me. The solitude of night, after my day-scheduled works are over, provide a great time, as my mind is content and relieved of the nagging guilt of preferring movies to the other important works, read studies.

Second, I try to get a briefing, just little, beforehand, about the movie I am about to watch. It could be a review or some comments on IMDB. That helps me to dive into the cinema’s background. I seamlessly flow into the characters then, and till the end of the movie, I am away from the earth zone. If I like the movie, I again review the movie, this time elaborate, in my mind. IMDB discussions also help me a lot there. Plus getting acquainted with the actors/actresses and their other movies augment my knowledge and understanding both. This way the movie sits in/with me for long, and I have often been able to recognize a movie by just watching a second of its scene.

Third, and which is a very recent phenomenon, I have tried to be selective in my choice. In my lifetime, I know, I will be able to watch only a limited number of movies. So, why not watch only the good ones? While the definition of good is very subjective and also temporal, one can reasonably make a list, if one has got enough discerning qualities.

For my selection, I employ my fourth and probably the most important rule. My solemn effort has been to bring variety to my movie-watching, as I believe, of all other factors, this is what brings interest towards a certain kind of movies for the people. A person, who has only watched mushy Bollywood movies, when exposed to real-life expedition movies of Hollywood, finds himself enamoured. Then after some time, he realizes these super-natural movies too are duds. For foreigners, who have some interest in music and drama, Bollywood movies are a soaring lift from reality. Sometimes, people like what they want to watch. So, movies centered on African Civil War, India’s poverty, Muslim countries female torture, Europe’s free-for-all society etc are hit worldwide. It is the ability of the movies to connect with minds of the viewers that makes them great. And for viewers, it comes from providing variety, in genre, language, location etc, to their movie-watching. Rest all talk about movie paragon-touch is drivel. No one can watch Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind, and Forrest Gump in succession. It has to be interspersed with an Inception or an Ice Age or a Dark Knight.
If one can add global variety to one’s selection, then it is probably the apotheosis. Each country’s sensibilities are different, but great. And movies provide a great way to feel those. For this, one needs to get used to watching the foreign language movies in dubbed mother-language or with subtitles, though knowing the foreign language won’t do any harm either.

These all have been the key steps of my holy quest towards the art of movie-watching. These are neither universal nor uniform, but knowing me, I know, these are the best for me.

No comments: