Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Jackson - a miss in the hit



None so greater than Michael! We will miss you…

I am not going to cry, or even show some sign of moroseness. Michael Jackson was just another brilliant singer for me. In fact, the first one, I came to know of those Western eccentric singers. I am not yet into Western music, and probably never will (God forbid), but if ever there could be some music which I would like to listen to, it has to be MJ’s only. ‘Thriller’, ‘Beat It’, ‘Dangerous’ – these are so profound and catchy, that you forget for a moment everything else. Very few other songs, even if countable, have such attraction for me. No doubt, he was a genius.

But what makes his untimely death even more poignant is that he just failed that genius. I was looking at a younger Michael, barely in his teens, performing with such grace and gravitas that you needn’t look elsewhere to find an inspirational quote in life. He was a felicitous product of time – black, brave and bewitched with music. What else could have he wanted, more so, when he also achieved a copious amount of world fame and money?

That is beyond my ken of world-psychology. And even harder to believe, it afflicts all the famous people of the litany. Britney, Lindsay etc etc. Somehow I feel a commoner’s life is better-off as there is always something to achieve. Michael, probably later on in his life, lost that zeal and love - so vividly exhibited in that dreaming child. Surprisingly not narcissistic, he started loathing himself. Colour change, paedophilia, idiosyncratic behaviors – what else can you say?

The judgement is always irrelevant and inappropriate when done on other’s life. But his life, unfortunately, was related to many. That beholden-to-music child just became another singer, and not in any case role-model for many, including me. Probably he was not meant to be, for he could not find peace even with himself. Fault lies with others who looked up to his genius.

I will miss you MJ, but always with a sorry, for you, others and me.

No comments: